Nandi County Assembly.
A County Assembly is the forum through which the people, who own the sovereign power to govern, can participate in the making of laws, formulation of policies for taxation, budgeting, Furthermore the people maintain surveillance and oversight on how they are governed; while the County Executive gives an account of its operations in governing the County.
Nandi County Assembly is Established as in Article 176 of the Constitution establishes the County Assembly which shall consist of members elected by the registered voters of the wards; each ward constituting a single member constituency, on the same day as a general election of Members of Parliament, being the second Tuesday in August, in every fifth year
The Nandi County Assembly has 38 representatives, 30 elected from the County Assembly Wards and 8 nominated members are special seat members included to ensure that no more than two-thirds of the membership of the assembly are of the same gender. These special seats are to be given to members of marginalized groups, including persons with disabilities and the youth, prescribed by an Act of Parliament; and the Speaker, who is an ex-officio member
Members of the County Assembly –MCA’s sit on various committees of the Assembly. Committees of the Assembly are essentially the engine rooms of the Assembly. They enable the Assembly to consider matters before it thoroughly before resolutions are made at the Plenary.
Nandi County has seven (6) constituencies and the County Assembly Wards in these constituencies are the ones represented in the County Assembly Wards of Nandi.
2,884.4 Sq Km
752,965 (2009 National Census)
No. of Constituencies:
6(Mosop, Emgwen,Chesumei, Nandi Hills, Tindiret, Aldai)
No. of County Assembly Wards:
Mandate, Role And Function Of A County Assembly
A County Assembly exercises and executes the mandate, role and function by the sovereign power to participate in governance, delegated to them under Section 1 (2), (3) and (4) of Constitution of Kenya 2010.
On the basis of the current philosophies and practices of governance and from Constitution of Kenya 2010 and pertinent statutes, the mandate, role and function of the County Assemblies in Kenya are:
- They are the home of and executer of the legislative authority of a County by making and unmaking laws to facilitate the due execution of the powers and functions of a County Government under existing statute
- They exercise oversight over all issues and matters of governance, especially, the operation of the County Executive Committee and all organs of the County Executive
- They receive, deliberate on and approve:-
- All development plans, programmes, policies and budget of a County Government; as set out in Sections 207, 220 (2), 201 and 203 of CK 2010 and Part !V of the Public Finance Management Act, 2012
- (b) Vetting all nominees for appointment as County Secretary and Chief Officers of the County Public Service
- The borrowing by a County Government in accordance with provisions of Section 212 of Constitution of Kenya 2010
- Appointment of a Clerk of a County Assembly (CCA) on recommendation of the County Assembly Service Board (CASB).
- They represent the electorate of a County in the governance, including providing leadership in deliberation on all matters of concern and interest
- However, Members of a County Assembly do not get directly involved in the Executive or functions of a County Government or in the delivery of services meant to be done by the County Public Service
If a County Assembly fails to enact any – particular legislation required to give further effect to any provision of this Act, corresponding national legislation, if any shall with necessary modification apply to the matters in question until the County Assembly enacts required legislation
Shera, Wajibu Wetu
To be a world class Assembly that fulfills Constitutional mandate to the people of Nandi County.
To promote growth and development of Nandi County through proper constitutional Legislation, Oversight and Representation.